Plantation Shutter Revamp

Shutter Header

A few months ago, Paul and I had all of our windows tinted, including the little windows on either side of the front door called side-light windows. At the time, I had straw Roman shades up there which obviously had to come down, so I saw this as a perfect opportunity to change up my window treatments.

The Roman shades looked okay, but you could not open them up to let light in so I decided on some sort of a shutter. I started my search only to find that this is a very hard size to find which usually resulted in having something custom made, which also translates to mucho dinero. Being the “thrifty” gal that I am, I knew there had to be a cheaper route.

On one of my thrifting adventures I stopped into Habitat for Humanity ReStore. This place is a real hit or miss but the great thing is, that in the back of the store, they have home salvage items. After a little digging, Eureka, I found exactly what I needed, plantation shutters! I picked up this baby for only $20 bucks.

Shutters

They were all attached when I bought them, but I got excited and disassembled them before I took a picture. I also decided to paint them black as you can tell by my test corner. I used Rust-Oleum Universal Paint and Primer In One spray paint in satin black. Spray paint is always the easiest way to paint shutters. After they were dry, I used a fine grit sandpaper and roughed them up a but on the edges to give it a slight distressed look.

Now I just needed to figure out how to put these things in the windows. Paul and I decided we needed to stack two of the shutters and attach them into one so we drilled holes in the bottom and top and used wood glue and dowels to hold them together. The shutters were 1/2 an inch too narrow, so we also cut a 1/2 inch wide strip of wood the same height as the inside of the window, and attached it using screws. The shutters already had the hinges on them so we just mounted the shutters straight into the frame. The shutters also had little brass clips that held them closed which we re-used and mounted to the top of the window frame.

Some schmancy new knobs and voila!

The entire project cost me $63.00.

 

Shutter B&A

I love how I can let light in during the day, but close them at night so all those peeping Tom’s don’t get a little show of me in my p.j’s. If you are looking to spruce up your side-light windows, be on the lookout for used plantation shutters. You will obviously have to improvise to make them fit your own window dimensions, but it is such an inexpensive alternative to custom window treatments.

OodalollielogoNB

 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *