Kaela and Kelly
Hi, we're Kelly and Kaela, the mother-daughter team of Oodalollie.
Ooda-what?"Oodalollie" – It’s definition is simply an “expression of joy”. On this blog we will write about the things that bring us joy; sharing precious time with family, growing in our faith, cooking and eating, and having fun and creative projects scattered all over the house. We are not professional decorators and we can’t tell you how many calories are in our recipes, but we will share with you everyday life as we know it, and hope that this blog will inspire you to express a little joy of your own. Welcome to Oodalollie.
Tag Archives: Sugar Cookie
My daughter’s sister-in-law, Nicole is having a baby boy and they are naming him Jack! I love that name because it was my grandpas name, and what an adorable name for a little boy. I was asked to make cupcakes and cookies for the baby shower which was planned to be a tea party. Instantly I thought of making these adorable tea bag shaped sugar cookies. Sugar cookies are so versatile and are one of those cookies that can be customized to any type of event.
For these cookies, I needed to make the classic tea bag shape. You can buy tea bag shaped cookie cutters, but I didn’t have one, so I decided to make a template from some clear plastic. Since I do paper crafts, I had some sheets of this handy, but it’s cheap to pick up at a craft store. I started by tracing out a slightly larger than average tea bag shape with a sharpie marker, then cut it out. I drew on a place I wanted for the hole, but you do not need to cut that out.
By Katie Wagner
There are just some things that make Christmas, Christmas. Classic sugar cookies are one of those things! I got so many delicious recipes at the cookie exchange, but I was so happy to see that Katie was making these. This is a great recipe for a day of fun with your family and with kids. Sugar cookies are not just baking, they are kind of like a craft too, cutting them out, decorating, bombing your kitchen with sprinkles everywhere, I love it.
Christmas is almost here, it’s time to pop in the DVD Elf, sip some hot chocolate and make Katie’s sugar cookies. They will surely bring a smile to your face.
Thanks, Buddy and thank you Katie!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 unbeaten egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 sour cream
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup packaged egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Let butter soften to room temperature in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, egg, vanilla and lemon zest them blend everything together in bowl, then mix in sour cream.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to the butter mixture and blend until combined.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies with your favorite festive cookie cutters.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake at 375° for 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly browned. (depends on your cookie thickness)
- Frost and decorate cookies as desired!
- Mix all the ingredients together with a hand mixer on medium speed, adding more powdered sugar if needed. Spread or pipe icing onto cookies. Add food coloring if you’d like.